Painting   Tactics   Army Lists   Battle Reports   Reviews   Archives
Monday, March 18, 2013

2500 pts O&G Swedish Comp 11-12

There is a tournament coming up in the middle of April that I shall be attending. This will mark the first full-scale tournament that features the Swedish Comp System. For this tournament, players must have armies that comp between 10-15, which is about average. For each full point of comp you have more than your opponent, you get a 'free' 100 VP (so a comp 15 army going up against a comp 10 army will get an extra 500 VP). Therefore, I'm planning to field a list that comes in at around 12, to give me an edge against the filthiest lists out there (while still liking my chances against them) without giving up too many free points to the softest lists.

With that said, I will be trying out a few creative solutions to still get a competitive army on the table without it comping too hard. I'm thinking something along these lines...

Orc Warboss
Sword of Anti-Heroes, Armour of Destiny, The Other Trickster's Shard

Savage Orc Great Shaman, level 4
Lucky Shrunken Heads, Fencer's Blades

Black Orc Big Boss, BSB
Banner of Eternal Flame

Night Goblin Shaman, level 2
Dispel Scroll

This is a pretty standard setup for when I'm running an infantry list. I always like my Warboss to do something special aside from just sharing his Inspiring Presence, so in this case he will be a Deathstar breaker with his Sword of Anti-Heroes. From a comp perspective, only the Shrunken Head and the Dispel Scroll are very expensive, and I feel both are very necessary items to include in a tournament list.

My BSB is a cheap utility hero, keeping animosity in check and providing flaming attacks to whichever Orc unit he ends up joining later in the game.



29 Orc Big 'Uns
Standard Bearer, Musician, Shields

26 Savage Orcs
Full Command, Additional handweapons 

20 Night Goblins
Musician, Short bows

5 Goblin Wolf Riders
Shields, Shortbows, 

The core is interesting as I'm trying something new, with regular Orcs getting the Big 'Uns upgrade. Unless you're running a big Savage horde (which I prefer not to) I've found that the regular Orcs with spears will dish out only 6-7 total attacks less than the Savages (assuming 6 or 7 wide) and even less so if the Savages have got more characters in their front rank. So I'd like to try running regular Savage Orcs, as I've still got the Great Shaman and the champion to kill off tough things with their S5.

My two orc blocks actually comp the same as had I only gone with Savage Orc Big 'Uns and 40 Night Goblins, so I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck here, too.



24 Black Orcs
Standard Bearer, Musician, Standard of Discipline

8 Trolls

1x2 Goblin Wolf Chariots

A little light on the chariots this time around, but in return I've got two 'ard units in the Trolls and Black Orcs, meaning I've got 4 large combat units and three of them Orcs for the 'Ere We Go spell.

Lately, I've found that only two single Wolf Chariots are usually necessary, to keep each flank free of chaff, so I've decided to keep the points down as well as the comp, as each new chariot will impose a hefty penalty from the comp system.



Mangler Squig

Goblin Doom Diver

Giant

A single Doom Diver keeps me exactly on +0 comp for my war machine penalty, while a single Spear Chukka would have put me over the edge. I'll miss my second and third war machine, but I feel that a single Doom Diver can take care of most things that I'm worried about.

The Giant is extremely comp friendly, as people continue to underestimate the big guy. Naturally, this makes him a perfect choice for those remaining points as I feel he's got a multitude of viable uses in game. Of course, he usually works wonders with some Netgoblins to keep the enemy strength down, but I think he can do well with just Orcs as support as well. We're gonna have to see.

This list right now comes in at around 50 points short, meaning I have a few options that I could explore. One would be to add a third Wolf Chariot, which is fine but something I've found to be a little unnecessary lately as well as heavy comp hit. I could also throw in 1-2 fanatics in my Bowgobbo unit, which is definitely not a bad choice. Finally, I could also consider giving my Big Uns spears for a more defensive unit that will hit even harder if charged, which is something I'd like to explore more. Or, I could give my Savage Orcs a Big Stabba to combine with the Banner of Eternal Flame, which is also an attractive option.

Which option to do you prefer, and do you have any thoughts on the list in general? Let me know in the comments.